Thursday, October 17, 2013

quality literature: the graveyard book

 

If you're looking for a fun Halloween read this month, check out Neil Gaiman's Newbery Award  winning "The Graveyard Book."  It is a captivating tale from page one and will keep you enthralled and delighted straight through to page 307.  Don't let the cover fool you; this novel is much more whimsical than it is creeptastic.  It is only slightly scary, so it's just fine for younger audience (or wimpy grown-ups like me) and the writing is top notch, so adults will be just as enthralled as the kids are.  The edition that I read included a copy of the author's Newbery acceptance speech.  It is worth the read as well.  I may have teared up a bit as I read it.  His view on the power and purpose of books is exactly my own.  Indeed, it is probably the rallying cry of book-lovers everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving Paul the graphic novel version of this for Christmas. I didn't even know it was a novel. :(

    ReplyDelete